- This event has passed.
Ice Climbing Weekend – Canmore/Banff AB
December 15, 2018 @ 8:00 am - December 16, 2018 @ 5:00 pm$20
Ever wanted to try ice climbing? Then this is the trip for you! Learn all of the tips, tricks and techniques you need to have a fun and safe day on the ice.
Join the ACC Great Plains in their inaugural Ice Climbing weekend in the beautiful Bow Valley. Climbing days will be December 15 and 16. Accommodations, location and other details will be decided once the participants are confirmed. Applications will be accepted until Nov 30.
In addition to a harness, helmet and belay device, participants will need ice climbing boots, crampons and ice axes for the weekend. These are available to rent right in Canmore at Gear Up at a reasonable rate.
Create lasting memories, meet new friends!
Register to attend a trip with the Alpine Club of Canada Great Plains Section
Trip Info & Guidelines
Guidelines For Trip Participants
All trips listed in the Great Plains Section’s trip schedule are coordinated by amateur volunteer hikers, skiers and climbers. When on a trip, participants must act in a manner that is safe and responsible and participants are expected to bring the equipment requested by the trip organizer. Participants should find out the requirements and demands of the trip well in advance by asking the organizer and researching the trip in guidebooks and other literature. You must be a member of the Great Plains Section of the Alpine Club of Canada to join a trip.
Further guidelines for participants
- Be prepared to complete a Release of Liability (Waiver). Waiver Form
- You must be a member of the Great Plains Section of the Alpine Club of Canada to join a trip.
- Sign up for trips that will challenge you, but are not beyond your abilities. If unsure, ask the trip organizer and tell them your experience and fitness level. People inexperienced in the mountains should start with easier trips.
- Learn about the trip before you attend (which route, number of kilometers, amount of vertical gain/loss, type of terrain, length of day, etc.).
- Give as much notice as possible to the trip organizer if you are unable to go on the trip. There are often waiting lists of other members who would like to go. If you do not provide enough notice of cancellation for your spot to be filled, your trip deposit will not be refunded.
- Ensure that you have the right equipment and that it is in good repair.
- For winter trips, ensure that you are using a digital avalanche transceiver and that it is in good working order. Single antenna/analog transceivers are not acceptable.
- Bring your helmet on all moderate and difficult scrambles and all climbing trips. Leaders may ask you to bring your helmet on certain ski trips as well.
- Be prepared to contribute to the trip and carry part of the group gear (ropes, etc.).
In addition to the liability coverage that the ACC provides for its members when they are participating in ACC activities, the ACC sells, through TuGoTM Travel Insurance, personal insurance for trips.
As a broker for TuGo, the ACC offers Emergency Medical Insurance, Trip Cancellation Insurance, Baggage Insurance and more. These policies are available to all Canadians travelling outside their home province within Canada as well as internationally.
If you require medical attention while you’re traveling outside of your home province, or outside of Canada, your provincial health care plan may not cover you. The ACC’s trip insurance covers air ambulance, emergency medical and many other medical expenses. Climbing, skiing and other backcountry accidents are not exempted (as they are with many insurers).
For more information and online quotes, click here.
Ready to create lasting experiences?
Join the Alpine Club of Canada Great Plains Section